Pages

Sunday 20 November 2011

Photography, photography, photography

Well, what can I say about the last few lessons in my photography college course.
First off we were learning about landscapes, depth of field, aperture the best lenses to use etc.
Do I have any examples to show you.....urmmmm. No.
You see the problem is no matter how interested in photography I am and how much I want to take endless pictures to get better at it, life continually gets in the way. Last week I ventured out with Kara (2 and a half year old daughter) to Tooting Common with the full intention of letting her play in the play ground and then taking some shots. Unfortunately she insisted on using her scooter on the way so it took us over half an hour to make the 15 minute walk, then she wanted to be behind the camera every time it came out of the bag and eventually the sun was too low to get any decent shots. Then through the week as we all know here in blighty, at this time of year we go to work in the dark and leave work in the dark. So theres absolutely no chance to get any thing done through the week.

The last lesson I had we covered portrait photography. Once again we played with the basics like framing (never frame your subject at a joint. Knees, elbows as it looks weird) and focus (always focus on your subjects eyes no matter where in the frame they are) as well as some new stuff like exposure compensation and flash intensity. All adjustable from your dslr's menu.
It was a very interesting lesson from both a practical side and theory. Example, put your camera in portrait photography mode (not the, do all your thinking for you, setting on the top dial but using the picture type selection in the menu) this will disable the flash, causing shutter speed problems in dim light. But, adjusting the exposure compensation by knocking it down a notch or two and this will increase the shutter speed. Its these little tricks that I'm really interested in learning.
Once again I have no examples to show you but this time it isn't because of life getting in the way. I do have quite a lot of portraits that I shot in the class of all my class mates but, without their permission, I'm not about to splash their faces all over the interweb. I'm sure they wouldn't mind but its wrong to do it without asking them. I'm sure you understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment