Pages

Monday 6 August 2012

Music for the Homeward Bound 1

Well hello there,

On my way home from work today I came upon the idea to speak about the music I've been listening to recently. You see as any of you who have read my past posts will know I have used my time commuting to read a great deal of books. However, over the last few weeks I have opted instead to just listen to music on my trustee iPhone. Given that I have an extensive, ever growing, library of music I transferred a few of my favourite albums along with a collection of new stuff.

My iPhone has a real mix of artists on it, a collection of great music. When I say music I mean MUSIC. Not the mass produced, manufactured, mass marketed mindless crap that the charts are full of. I mean music. Guitars, drums, bass, synthesisers, artists playing and singing music that they themselves wrote. Not some plastic glorified karaoke singer with an army of talent behind them fuelling the cash machine. Real talent, real musicians, real music. Some of it loud I grant you but still, raw talent. With shuffle engaged I now present you with a glimpse of the soundtrack to my journey home.

Tenacious D

A great comedy rock band featuring movie star Jack Black and his pal Kyle Glass they are one of the, if not THE, funiest bands out there. With sometimes vulgar, sometimes lewd sometimes controversial but always funny lyrics their songs always manage to raise a laugh. At the same time though musically they are brilliant with some real catchy tunes. Having released three albums now the one I was treated to on the way home was their third.

     'Rize of the Fenix'

This is a fun little album by the future kings of the world 'The D'. While not on the level of their 1st self titled album it is just as good as 'The Pick of Destiny.' The songs include numbers such as 'Low Hanging Fruit,' 'Death Starr' and 'Throw Down' among the usual spoken interludes such as 'Flutes and Trombones' (this always makes me laugh)
Tonights song- 'To Be the Best.'

Twisted Sister

One of the greatest bands of the 80s rock scene, Twisted Sister were put on the rise to power and fame by the very people here in blighty. I was introduced to them by one of my older brothers, if I remember rightly it was the song 'You Cant Stop Rock and Roll' that first set me off down the road toward being an SMF (the title given to Sister fans by the group themselves) I wont tell you what it stands for.

    'Love is for Suckers'

This is the fifth and final album by Sister released way back during their original run. They have since released 'A Twisted Christmas' I haven't listened to this so I cant comment upon its content. This album however I am very familiar with. Even though it doesn't have the anger and raw power of their 3rd and best album 'Stay Hungry; it is still a very good album and worthy of entry into anyones collection. With great songs like 'Wake Up The Sleeping Giant', 'One Bad Habit' and the title track 'Love Is For Suckers' it is a great listen. PLAY LOUD.
Tonights song - Tonight (not a cover of the Bowie song)

Sunna

A British band from  2000 these guys only managed one album in their original form the brilliant and poorly over looked 'One Minute Science' A few remaining members have released 2 more albums since 2009s 'Two Minute Terror' and 2011s 'After The Third Pin' (I'm sensing a pattern here) Unfortunately having managed to get the 3rd album it is no where near as good as the first.

     'One Minute Science'
As mentioned above this is the first and by far best album. An album that one day hopefully will be considered a lost gem. With a mix of power and emotion this album demands repeated listening from the very first time. Songs like 'Power Struggle' (featured on the Hollow Man soundtrack) and 'I'm Not Trading' are great heavy and powerful songs while others like 'I Miss' and 'One Conditioning' are emotional and haunting. BRILLIANT.
Tonights song - Too Much

Well I think thats enough music for you to be looking up if you haven't already got it, but if you look up only one thing from this post make it Sunna.

Till next time......

The Voice has spoken

No comments:

Post a Comment